UP-SCALING CUBIC FERRITE NANOCRYSTALS PRODUCTION FOR MAGNETIC HYPERTHERMIA BASED APPLICATIONS
Magnetic hyperthermia is a promising approach for the treatment of neoplastic diseases. This method allows to selectively kill tumour cells without damaging healthy cells via an alternating magnetic field which increases the local temperature up to 42-45°C. This is done by administering, at the tumor, 7-12mL of a solution containing 100-120 mg Fe/mL of spherical nanoparticles for each patient. More recently, in order to decrease the dose of nanoparticles administered, a cubic shape has been proposed, which increase the specific absorption rate of the particles by 20x. The available methods to fabricate nanocubes with optimum magnetic and structural properties, are not suitable for large scale production due to the very small yields generated (a few tens of milligrams).
Presented is a method for preparing high yields of nanoparticles to be used as thermal mediators in magnetic hyperthermia, comprising the following steps: i) providing a solution comprising a fatty acid, an aliphatic amine and an alcoholic solvent; ii) adding at least one organometallic precursor compound comprising a metal selected from Fe, Mn, Co and Zn and an aromatic organic aldehyde molecule to the solution in point i) thereby obtaining a reaction mixture; iii) transferring the reaction mixture to a reactor, thereby obtaining a filling percentage thereof of between 20 and 70 vol.%; and iv) heating said sealed reactor to a temperature chosen between 160°C and 240°C for at least 3 hours.
- Magnetic hyperthermia (MHT) applied to cancer treatment;
- Heat-mediated drug delivery under magnetic hyperthermia;
- Magnetic hyperthermia-mediated chemical reactions;
- Magnetic hyperthermia-curing of materials.
- High yields of magnetic nanoparticles, with a good control over the shape, dimensions, dispersion and colloidal properties of the end product;
- Transfer rates close to 100% and stable dispersions even in the long term;
- Does not require operating in an atmosphere devoid of oxygen and under magnetic agitation;
- Cubic nanoparticles having a greater degree of crystalline purity.