TOLLY®, a new dressing rich in antioxidants
The invention refers to a new olive oil dressing, Tolly®, produced by co-milling olives and tomato by-products, naturally rich in lycopene and other carotenoids.
The final product is obtained by co-milling of olives and tomatoes by-products, such as peels and seeds. Through a mechanical-physical process, a large part of lycopene, β-carotene and other carotenes and carotenoids present in tomato by-products is transferred into a lipid matrix extracted from olives. The dressing obtained possesses and preserves both the sensorial and nutritional characteristics of the virgin olive oil, while having additional properties caused by the presence of minor bioactive components typically present in tomato.
- Olive oil industry (producers and millers);
- Vegetable oil producers and distributors.
- Use of tomato industry by-products usually discarded or biodegraded;
- Reduction of the environmental footprint of an oleic product;
- Low cost of tomato by-products.