NEW ANTI-INFLAMMATORY AND ANTI-OXIDANT COMPOUNDS
The invention consists of a series of new compounds of the steroid type with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activity comparable to that of glucocorticoids, but with less associated side effects and greater therapeutic potential than known compounds used in the treatment of degenerative diseases of the brain cells, such as example Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
The invention consists of a series of new synthetic compounds, obtained through a fermentative microbiological process that does not require specific chemical reagents or particular process conditions, structurally deriving from progesterone and with associated anti-inflammatory activity analogous to cortisones. In fact, bacteria belonging to the actinobacteria class are able to transform some known steroidal compounds into new compounds which have fewer side effects and a greater therapeutic potential than the known compounds. The bacterial species used in the fermentation process are of the wild-type kind, that is they do not require genetic modifications, thus reducing the risks and the ethical and regulatory problems connected to possible manipulations. In addition to an associated antioxidant activity, these new compounds have characteristics of solubility in water.
- Treatment of inflammatory diseases;
- Treatment of autoimmune diseases;
- Treatment of diseases that require joint anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant activity.
- The water solubility characteristic makes the compounds suitable for longer duration and lower drug concentrations;
- The combined presence of anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and neuroprotective activity is related to a better therapeutic potential than that of known steroid compounds such as cortisone.