METHOD FOR ANALYZING DATA PROVIDED BY MAGNETIC RESONANCE IMAGING
The invention consists of a calculation method that allows the operator to perform a semi-quantitative analysis of Magnetic Resonance data, obtained after intravenous administration of a contrast medium (DCE-MRI), to evaluate the response to neo-adjuvant radio-chemotherapy treatments in locally advanced rectal cancer (LARC) and to discriminate between responsive and non-responsive patients. In detail, the invention consists of a method of calculation which can be formalized in an algorithm and is implementable in a computer program.
Development of a software application, usable through OsiriX MD platform (FDA-Cleared and CE II certified), which analyzes Magnetic Resonance data, obtained after the intravenous injection of a contrast medium (DCE-MRI), and provides the cut-off value to differentiate in locally advanced rectal cancer (LARC), the patients responsive from those not responsive to neoadjuvant treatment. The Standardized Index of Shape (SIS) identified with this invention allows to monitor the response to neo-adjuvant treatments in locally advanced tumors. The current technological solutions do not provide all the descriptors of the shape of the time intensity curve obtained from MRI in dynamic and do not provide user friendly tools for the classification of patients who are responsive and not responsive to chemo-radiotherapy treatments. The SIS software tool would allow to integrate the radiologist’s activity with an objective and quantitative measure for the evaluation of oncological therapies.
- Analysis of DCE-MRI images according to a semi-quantitative approach with multiple descriptors (features) of the shape of the time intensity curve that directly measure the absorption of the contrast medium;
- Software tool easily usable in clinical practice for the response to chemo-radiotherapy treatments in any oncology pathology;
- Personalization of therapy.
- Objective and quantitative measurement for the assessment of cancer therapies;
- Monitor the response to neo-adjuvant treatment for locally advanced tumors;
- Biomarker complementary to current golden standards (PET SUV);
- Orient / plan a therapeutic planning for personalized therapy.