Melanocortins induce adult neurogenesis
The present invention relates to a medicament based on melanocortin agonists acting at MC4 receptors, to counteract the progression of acute (e.g:stroke) and chronic neurodegenerative diseases (eg: Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, SLAs, etc.) and to improve, through reparative and regenerative action, the recovery of the compromised organic functions.
It is known that neurogenesis (production of new neurons) can also occur in adulthood, but in a limited manner. Our patent relates to the stimulation of neurogenesis in adult brain by melanocortinic agonists which activate the MC4 receptors (MC4r). MC4rs induce transduction mechanisms that facilitate the environment for the proliferation of new brain stem/progenitor cells capable of differentiating into functioning neurons. This result in a reduction in the progression of neurodegenerative diseases. Thus MC4 agonists can be an effective treatment to counteract the progression of acute (eg, stroke) and chronic (Alzheimer, Parkinson, etc.) neurodegenerative diseases, where lost neurons are not physiologically replaced. So, induced neurogenesis can improve recovery of organic functions compromised, such as cognitive processes, etc.
- Healthcare use for acute (eg stroke, etc.) and chronic neurodegenerative diseases (eg Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, SLA’s, Huddigton’s, etc.)
- Neurogenic Stimulation (new neurons emerging);
- Neuroprotection for acute and chronic neurodegenerative diseases;
- Protection and recovery of damaged physiological processes;
- Reduction in social costs for the treatment of acute and chronic neurodegenerative diseases.