Lithium /oxygen battery
Lithium/oxygen non-aqueous semi-solid flow battery that combines the high energy density of lithium/air batteries with the flexibility of redox flow batteries.
The invention claims a novel, low cost, semi-solid catholyte for Li/O2 batteries, as well as its use in non-aqueous semi-solid flow Li-O2 battery (SFLOB) that combines the high energy density of Li/O2 battery with the flexible and scalable architecture of redox flow batteries. The cell operates with a flowable catholyte based on organic electrolyte and carbonaceous suspended particles, fed with O2 and pumped through the cell, and finally with a lithium metal anode.
- Batteries for large stationary energy storage (renewable energy plants);
- Sustainable mobility (public and private) including automotive, airplanes, rail and drones.
- High voltage operation;
- Power and energy capabilities independently scaled;
- Exceptionally high discharge capacity;
- Projected energy density 3-5 time higher than conventional Li-ion batteries;
- High operational and design flexibility;
- Low costs.