LENTIL EXTRACT WITH CHOLESTEROL LOWERING AND PREBIOTIC ACTIVITY
The present invention relates to a lentil extract with surprising cholesterol lowering and prebiotic effects that makes it particularly useful in therapeutic applications and as a nutraceutical. Said lentil extract is characterized by the presence of soyasaponin I in the range of 50 to 300 mg kg-1 and soyasaponin βg in the range of 0.5 to 5 mg kg-1. The process for the production of said extract and its therapeutic and nutraceutical uses are also within the scope of the present invention.
Lentils are an important source of “phytochemicals” and bioactive molecules, such as polyphenols, phytosterols, and soyasaponins. The lentil extract described in this patent showed the ability to lower the total plasma cholesterol level with simultaneous prebiotic action, providing the improvement of intestinal health. In particular, in our in vivo experiments the extract reduced the total cholesterol level of 17% and promoted at intestinal level the growth of Lactobacillus and Bifidocteria . By virtue of these characteristics, the extract according to the invention can be used in all cases in which a cholesterol lowering activity is desired, as the prevention of cardiovascular diseases, type 2 diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure, and similar disorders. At the same time it can be used in all cases in which there is an alteration of the equilibrium of the intestinal bacterial flora as the intestinal dysbiosis and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
- Food supplement/nutraceutical for cardiovascular diseases;
- Food supplement/nutraceutical for intestinal health;
- Food ingredient for the development of dietary supplements and functional foods.
- Lowering effect of total plasma cholesterol level;
- Prebiotic action with the stimulation of growth of Lactobacilli and Bifidobacteria;
- Numerous health benefits, improving of intestinal health.