Efficient air conditioning for electric cars
In the present system the vapour compression cycle takes advantages of liquid desiccants. The objective is reached with new membrane contactors crossed by air, refrigerant and desiccant. Besides cooling and dehumidification actions, the system allows heating actions by reversing the refrigerant flow through a 4V valve.
The invention refers to an innovative highly efficient system for air conditioning which integrates a vapour compression cycle with a desiccant cycle. The objective is reached with innovative membrane contactors (3F-CMCs) which are crossed by air, refrigerant and desiccant. The semi-permeable hydrophobic membrane working in these components allows a vapour exchange between the air and the desiccant, avoiding direct contact between them. The liquid desiccant relies on two 3F-CMCs, one facing the air dehumidification/cooling and the other devoted to restore the desiccant concentration. As demonstrated in EU project XERIC such a system operates at higher refrigerant evaporation temperature and at lower condensation temperature, thus allowing significant mechanical power saving at the compressor. Besides cooling and dehumidification actions, the system allows heating actions by reversing the refrigerant flow through a 4V valve.
- Air dehumidification;
- Energy efficient air conditioning of vehicles, with particular reference to electric battery ones that can expect an improvement in their driving range;
- Civil and industrial air handling.
- Energy saving in mobile air handling and improved air quality;
- Extended driving range in mobile applications, particularly for electric battery vehicles;
- Versatility to face independently different actions (air cooling, air dehumidification, air heating..).