Driver-adaptive HEV Energy Management System
A decrease of worldwide on-road emissions of vehicles is demanded over the next few years and compliance with current regulations needs achievement. This invention aims at reducing the fuel consumption and tailpipe emissions of hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs) by implementing a real-time energy management system capable of optimally adapting to the driving style of the current user.
An intelligent custom-made energy management system for hybrid electric vehicle (HEV) (either mild, full or plug-in) powertrains is developed with the capability of maximizing the fuel economy performance according to the specific driver. An advanced algorithm is embedded in the system that learns the driving behavior of each user in order to optimally adapt the control strategy of the electrified powertrain. The tailored HEV control strategy can be directly downloaded in the vehicle control unit by means of a driver recognition process and then operate throughout the driving journey. The invention might reveal economically advantageous as it may lead car makers to comply with the imposed legislative emission limits, thus avoiding the economic sanctions scheduled by current regulations. Further advantages might be achieved in terms of fuel consumption savings, thus resulting appealing from a consumer point of view as well.
- Hybrid electric passenger cars;
- Hybrid electric light commercial vehicles;
- Hybrid electric medium duty vehicles;
- Hybrid electric heavy duty vehicles.
- Enhancing fuel economy performance of HEVs achieved in real-time control conditions;
- Adaptivity of the on-board energy management system of HEVs to the driving style of the user;
- Optimal HEV powertrain operation not only instantaneously but considering the entire driving mission of the user.