Domestic composter for organic waste
It is an innovative composter for transforming household organic waste into compost with high agronomic qualities and respecting the environment. The device saves both on the energy consumed to activate the aerobic process and on the rate for waste disposal.
The composter uses an electricity production system with a photovoltaic panel integrated into the structure that powers the ventilation system, with a small electrical resistance for pre-heating the incoming material. Thanks to the temperature control it is possible to speed up the process in cold periods. It is equipped with 3 chambers placed vertically, separated by removable panels which allow the transfer of the material by gravity. Inside, it is equipped with a waste handling and a fresh air supply system that exploits the heat contained in the exhaust gases produced by the degradation reaction of the organic substance. It also has a bio-filter that ensures the abatement of the gases odorous produced and a preheating system of incoming waste. In an operational setting, the amount of waste that can be treated by the prototype is about 5 kg / day, but smaller prototypes are being built for domestic use. The patent solves a series of disadvantages of current domestic composting plants including: the formation of putrefaction reactions that produce foul-smelling fumes; operation at a voltage of 220 V and therefore the need for connections to the electricity grid or to photovoltaic systems with inverters and storage of modest dimensions; the holding times of the organic material which are very long and in the order of a few months.
- Stand-alone solar composter, which can be installed on the balcony, garden or isolated utilities;
- Designed for single-family use, but it would also be useful for bars and restaurants, especially if its use will lead to a reduction on waste tariffs.
- The bio-filter prevents the formation of bad odours;
- Reduce disputes over the correct use of the composter, thanks to single-family sizing;
- Production of good quality compost;
- Raise awareness on circular economy issues.