COATING COMPOSITION WITH ANTIMICROBIAL AND ANTISALINE ACTIVITY
The present invention refers to the formulation of an eco-compatible coating composition with combined anti-microbial and inhibitory activity towards salt deposits formation, its application for the treatment of various surfaces (e.g. plasters, mortars, bricks, natural stones) and a process for its preparation. Salt and microbial deterioration are major causes of damage for porous materials, particularly for Built Heritage.
The present invention refers to the formulation of a coating composition in the form of an aqueous suspension based on zinc oxide micro- and nano-sticks and at least one organic compound derivable from renewable resource and biodegradable, with combined antimicrobial and inhibitory activity towards salt deposits formation, its application for the treatment of various surfaces – including historical and archaeological ones – and a process for its preparation. The composition is particularly suitable to be used for the material durability, in particular of porous materials, such as plasters, mortars, tuff, concrete, wood, etc. Among the solutions available in the market, no coating composition exhibiting salt formation inhibition and antimicrobial effect at the same time exists. A further advance relative to the state-of-the-art is the activity of the composition at very low concentration, along with non-(eco)toxicity features.
- Construction sector;
- Conservation of Built Heritage – including archaeological sites;
- Materials and products for shipbuilding industry sector;
- Road surface maintainance.
- Simple application on various surfaces, by techniques known to the insiders;
- High salt crystallization inhibition ability combined with remarkable antimicrobial effect («two in one» product);
- Effective at low concenrations.