Automated planning of stereotactic trajectories
The Patent covers a method for supporting linear stereotactic trajectory planning for the implant of intracerebral devices such as multicontant recording and / or stimulating electrodes and laser light applicators. The Patent is applicable in the field of invasive diagnostics and Surgical treatment of neurological diseases (Focal Epilepsy, Parkinson)
Within the Stereoelectroencephalography (SEEG), one of the critical steps is the planning of electrodes for monitoring the brain regions suppose to be responsible for abnormal behavior. This patent propose a new methodology for the automatic planning of SEEG electrodes, following the steps described below:
- Creating a database containing information about electrodes insertion trajectories of one or more patients;
- Selection of at least one target structure in the patient’s brain;
- Extracting the trajectories of interest from the database based on the detection of the target structure;
- Selecting trajectories that meet the safety ranges defined a priori.
Neurosurgery aimed at implanting intracerebral devices with stereotactic method. Particularly in the field of surgical treatment of some neurological diseases such as:
- Focal epilepsy;
- Parkinson’s disease;
- Movement disorders;
- Brain tumors.
- Simplification of planning, with automatic support;
- Time reduction, through scheduling automation;
- More Security, by calculating the optimal trajectory, which meets the established safety parameters;
- Cost Reduction of the planning phase.