ALFIE: Algae Façade Integrated Envelope
ALFIE is a Microalgae Photobioreactor, integrated in building façade, that purifies the grey and meteoric waters daily produced by human activities and weathering. As a consequence of photobioreaction biomass is produced.
ALFIE is a Microalgae Photobioreactor, integrated in building façade, that purifies water daily produced by human activities and weathering and produces biomass. The integration of photobioreactor with building façades allows to exploit incident solar radiation. Moreover thanks to ALFIE it is possible to combine functional and aesthetic issues and performances of buildings with the wastewater treatment.
ALFIE is a system consisting in a round-shaped module composed by:
- Opaque section;
- Anodized aluminum frame;
- ETFE-based double-layer soft walls containing medium solution and microalgae;
Algae can be further used in water treatment to:
- Remove Coliform Bacteria (up to 99%);
- Reduction of Chemical and Biochemical Oxygen demand (up to 68.4% and 67.2% respectively);
- Removal of Nitrogen (between 80 and 90%);
- Heavy Metals (up to 99%):
- Recycling urban wastewater:
- Domestic water purification;
- Grey water purification;
- Rainwater purification;
- Biomass production.
- Highly energy efficient;
- Improvement in mixing efficiency;
- Able to treat water high volume;
- Low cost;
- Easy to maintain;
- Flexible and scalable (different configuration and shapes);
- Green energy production;
- Bacterial decontamination.